Monday, May 03, 2010

The Sixth Photo

sewdistracted asked me to repost my sixth photo.  I wasn't sure if I should use the sixth photo that I posted on my sister's blog or on mine.  I posted there for a while until she kicked me off in 2005.

When I saw that the sixth photo on this blog is one of my all-time favorite pictures of Iris, I knew what to do.  It was originally posted here.  Click on the link to see the lake.

I was very sick in March of 2005.  I heard about the 30 mile long lake that formed in Death Valley during that El Nino winter on NPR.  I had to see this sight.  Bad Dad thought it was a lousy idea for me to travel in my condition.  But, I thought, if it was a once in a lifetime event, and my lifetime was looking kinda short at that time, then I had to go see it.

Iris and I wore mommy and me Panama hats (which are really made in Ecuador).

We approached Death Valley from the southern entrance.  When we went over Salisbury pass, we were shocked by the fields of "Desert Gold" DYCs (damn yellow composite) that carpeted the alluvial fans that surround the valley.  Iris called the place "Springs Meadows". 

I was struggling to breathe and walk at the same time, so Mark was in charge of Iris and the camera.  He lured her out to a spot where he could frame a picture with her, the flowers and the snow-capped peaks in the distance. 

On the way to Death Valley, we stopped by Mitchell Cavern for a tour.  I had bought her sunglasses.

She lost them by the next day.
She was so cute at that age!  She's still cute, but in a different way.

2 comments:

  1. I forgot that you posted on your sister's blog before this one, but I remember thinking how gorgeous that photo was the first time I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more and more aware that the best way for us all is to be strong, and take the best out of each day.
    Thank you for posting this memory!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.