Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Frida Kahlo's closet



It's worth watching the video to the end to hear curator Circe Henestrosa discuss Kahlo's belongings and how much they inform us about her.  I had known about her disability and seen her thorn paintings.  But, it really hit home when I saw the leather contraptions she had to wear to help support her torso and to hear Henestrosa describe the medicines they found among the artists' belongings.  (I assume they were pain medications.)

Dressing can be a political and feminist act.

Hat tip to LA Observed for bringing this to my attention.


1 comment:

  1. I am changing my name to Circe; why didn't I think of this before? Thank you for the link. I loved the movie about Frida too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.