Sunday, September 14, 2014

Grandma never knit like this?

The NYT put out another tired canard. Let's just celebrate that books like My Grandmother's Knitting get published. Because Elizabeth Zimmerman and Barbara G. Walker could be your grandmother.  (Lucky you!)

My favorite quote from the book:
"Our generation does stunt knitting," Wendy (Bernard) declares. Her grandma never was a stunt knitter, but everyone went crazy for her simple slippers. At every holiday, they were the expected, coveted gift.

3 comments:

  1. Not sure if my first comment got lost --- but urgh. A recap: this kind of lazy, cliched, mysogynistic, ageist writing should earn the writer / editor / copyeditor a serious slap on the wrist. Grannies are awesome and often seriously skilled artists. It astonishes me that the NYT casually falls back on this kind of lazy thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up writing to the writer of this piece - who wrote back very politely that he doesn't write the headlines - the copyeditors do. I felt instantly guilty for my incensed, up on my soapbox, over-reaction. Guy Trebay, I apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the late reply; I had trouble trying to comment to this post earlier.

    Copy editing is done by the "greenest" in the newsroom. It's no wonder that we see so many egregiously bad headlines. I'm also concerned that they work without senior editorial supervision. I see so many factual and grammatical mistakes in newspapers and their websites now. It's disheartening.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.